Here’s some important information to help you recognize and protect yourself from scammers trying to take advantage of the ongoing coronavirus situation.
What you should know:
- If someone comes to your door: Some scammers are going door to door offering free medical services such as in-home COVID-19 test kits and reserving future COVID-19 vaccination appointments. These fraudsters are using these promises to access your home and gather your personal information.
- If you receive a COVID-19-related call: Scammers claiming to represent a government agency, a public health agency or an insurance company are calling individuals to offer free COVID-19 test kits or reservations for future COVID-19 vaccination appointments. The scammers are requesting personal information like insurance numbers, Medicare IDs and credit card information, often claiming that government agencies are requiring that you provide this information. They may even tell you that you may have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus and that your personal information is needed for public health purposes.
What you should do:
- Humana will never send anyone to your door without first calling or emailing you to schedule an appointment. If someone you’re not expecting comes to your home claiming to be a Humana representative, do NOT open your door.
- If you receive a phone call from someone who says he or she is from Humana and you are asked for your social security number, credit card or banking information, DO NOT provide this information. Humana will never ask you for this information over the phone.
- If ANYONE calls you about the coronavirus, ask for the caller’s full name, job title and a call-back number before you give any information. Don’t feel rushed or intimidated! It’s okay to end the call and contact the agency or company directly to verify that the call is valid.
- If you suspect a scammer has contacted you by phone or in person, please let us know so we can help:
For more information, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s coronavirus scam alert site.